Sunday, August 2, 2009

Searching for alternate causes of swelling & numbness in half of my upper lip, and the prognosis for recovery?

Approximately month and a half ago i began to have pain between two upper teeth on one side, followed by numbness in my upper lip, only up about as high as a moustache, and nostril. 3 courses of antibiotics, and Dentist did root canal on the adjacent tooth, as he indicated that it was abcessed. Im still having pain between this tooth and the far back tooth, though dentist has looked and sees nothing wrong. Pain does not seem to improve even with brushing/flossing.


Went to my regular physician, and MRI, came back normal, and visited with a neurologist who indicated that he thought I have trigeminal neuralgia because of a constant headache that I have on this same side, some shooting/stabbing pain and tingling in same side.


Over the last week the numbness has spread to area serviced by the 2nd branch of the trigeminal nerve, from mid lip to ear. Dr. has me on Lyrica for the pain, which works at least, but I have questions about alternate causes and prognosis for full recovery?

Searching for alternate causes of swelling %26amp; numbness in half of my upper lip, and the prognosis for recovery?
I had exactly the same thing on my bottom lip. What happened was, the dentist managed to twang a root nerve when he was fiddling around in there.





It DID grow back, but he warned me that there's some small number of cases where it's permanent. I'm convinced that swishing with peroxide every day helped my mouth heal faster, and get on with healing the injured nerve.





In the meantime, it was about two weeks before the nerve went from numb to tingly (like being asleep) and a month or two before I got full feeling back. Now it's like it was never hurt.





Good luck healing!




hotels reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment